Our general submissions period annually is typically from November 1st until the end of the year. Outside of this period, we accept submissions by personal invitation only.
Our General Submission period is currently: OPEN!
We’re looking for Escapism Fiction:
We’re a small independent Canadian press and we are passionate about success. We partner with our authors to make the books we produce the best they can be and we aim to market them together for maximum exposure. We’re proud to be able to offer full paperback and e-book services, higher royalties than the industry standard (50% of net profits), author copies at better than wholesale rates, and worldwide distribution. We respond to all queries we receive within six to eight weeks with a personal response including suggestions on how to improve your manuscript even if it is not the right fit for us, so there is no need to send a follow-up inquiry.
Our goal is to provide our readers with the ability to escape the mundane through wildly creative fiction. We’re looking for books that act as gateways to other worlds, times, or versions of reality. We prefer strong story telling and strong character development as well as imaginative settings and interesting themes. If your manuscript transports a reader somewhere else, tells an engaging story, and then brings them back feeling like they learned or experienced something new or unique, then we want to publish your book!
*If you are not Canadian or do not currently reside in Canada, we are still willing to review your submission for possible publication, however due to government regulations regarding grants, we are only able to publish a small number of international titles each year.
As for genres, we consider primarily:
- Speculative Fiction
- LGBT Romance
- Portal Fiction
- A blend of any two or more of the above genres
- Cross-genre, mixed genre, or things that don’t fit genre norms
- Outside the box thinking, imaginative and creative fiction
- Adult, New Adult, Young Adult, Middle Grade, or Children’s
As for types of manuscripts, we consider primarily:
- Novels (130,000 words maximum)
- Novellas (25,000 words minimum)
- Collections of poetry or short stories with a continuous story arc, or within the same world, or following the same characters
- Graphic Novels (art included)
- Children’s books (art included)
- Colouring books (art included)
- Roleplaying System Guidebooks (art included)
We don’t like to limit ourselves, so if you have something you think would fit with our current list of published works, please send it. We’d rather take a chance outside our comfort zones than miss something great.
That being said, here’s a list of things we’re NOT interested in:
- Memoirs or autobiographies
- Literary fiction
- Self-help or inspirational fiction
- Hard Sci-Fi or Military Sci-Fi
- True crime or procedural
- Christian or other religious fiction
- Contemporary fiction
- Contemporary romance
- Poetry or short story anthologies
To submit to Mirror World Publishing, please send the following:
- A query letter (stating the genre, word count, and target audience of your manuscript)
- A one-page synopsis of the plot, including the ending
- The first three chapters or equivalent sample, as a .doc or .docx attachment
All submissions should be sent to:
Expect us to take up to six to eight weeks to respond. We try our best to provide some feedback regardless of acceptance and we respond to all queries we receive.
See our Youtube Channel for episodes of our show, Mirror World News, will contains lots of helpful advice for putting together your submission package and getting your manuscript ready for submission: