I’m going to try and make this short and sweet because if this post is for you, then you’re likely going to want to get busy putting together your submissions package and emailing it to us!
That’s right, as of RIGHT NOW our general submissions period is OPEN!!!
We’ve talked a lot about what we’re looking for, which you can find here. We’ve also talked about how we review submissions and what sort of things we look at when reviewing them. You can find that information here. And, of course, you can find pretty much everything you need to know on our submissions page, here.
What we haven’t gone into detail about on this blog yet is what you need to send; so here goes!
- QUERY LETTER
Please include a query letter with your submission. This can simply be in the body of your email. Your query letter must contain the following:
- Your name
- The title of your manuscript
- The type of work (novel, novella, short story collection, graphic novel, ect.)
- The genre (make sure it’s a genre we publish by checking our submissions page or our current list of titles.)
- The word count
- Your target audience (Adult, Young Adult, Middle Grade, Children’s, ect.)
- A brief description of your overall concept for the book. This is called ‘The Hook’ If you need help with this part, check out our blog post on pitch-writing here.
If your query letter does not give us all the information we need, we will not be able to review your submission and will send a reply telling you as much.
Along with your query, please send us a one page long summary of your plot. Please make sure to include the following information:
- The names and brief descriptions of your main characters
- A brief description or explanation of the setting
- The inciting incident (what change in your character’s life gets the story moving?)
- A few examples of obstacles your characters face
- The climactic moment
- The ending (how is everything resolved?)
If your synopsis does not contain the information we need, we may not be able to detect if your manuscript is for us. Don’t make us guess, tell us what happens so we can make an informed decision.
- SAMPLE CHAPTERS
Along with your query letter and synopsis, please send three sample chapters, or the equivalent so we can get a taste of your writing. When preparing this part to send, please take a good look at your sample to try and determine the following things:
- Is your opening line intriguing?
- Is your opening scene engaging?
- Is your sample relatively error-free?
- Does your sample make a reader want to keep reading the rest of the book?
- Is your writing active and engaging?
- Are there any points that might come across as confusing or unclear to a reader?
- Is the exposition, or any background information, woven into the story in a natural way?
These are some of the things that may cause us to reject your manuscript. If we detect any of these problems, we will let you know, so you can improve in these areas in the future.
Ok! If you’ve read all this and followed the guidelines, then you are ready to put that package together so what are you waiting for?! Go ahead and submit to us!
I’m wondering how long you will be accepting submissions for?
LikeLiked by 1 person
Until January 1st or until we have a full slate for 2018. Whichever comes first, but we will post an announcement about it on this blog, so feel free to subscribe to be kept informed!